Centennial Logo




One Hundred years of service to God and Country.

Father Flanagan of Boys Town, Council 652

"The heritage of the past is the seed that brings forth the harvest of the future."       National Archive Building Washington, DC......................  

On March 16, 1902 sixty Catholic men of Omaha received from the Supreme Council, a charter as Omaha Council No.652.
The first meeting place of the Council was in a room in the old Bee News Building at 17th and Farnam. Two years later the Council moved to the Creighton Institute, then called the Arthur Building at 18th and Douglas. In 1908, the first Club rooms were established in the old Board of Trade Building at 16th and Farnam. In 1910 the Council purchased a building at 20th and Dodge Streets where the club rooms were maintained until the year 1920, when the grading of Dodge Street neccessitated the move to the rented quarters at 2301 Harney Street.

This is a picture of the first home owned by the Knights of Columbus in Omaha. It was the residence at 2025 Dodge St, owned by J.J. Monell, an uncle of Senator G.M. Hitchcock. At the time of purchase in 1910, Mr. Monell had died and the transfer was made by his widow, who had subsequently gone to California, and the house was for a while occupied by John A. McShane. In 1915 the order was offered 218 feet on the corner

of Dodge and 20th Streets for $50,000, but lacked nerve to buy it. In 1924 they purchased 66 feet West of this for $26,000. A year laterwork began on the new Omaha Council home on this site. 

Scoular Building Fundraising for our second home began in 1922. In order to raise the $250,000 for the new building. February 11, 1924 a ground breaking ceremony was held, and in June 1925 construction began. The cornerstone was laid on April 25, 1926 and it was completed in 1927. The depression hit everybody hard in the 30's. Our council was no exception. We lost our beautiful building that so many people worked so hard to raise money for in 1936 due to hardtimes. 

old bldg Our Next home was purchased in 1936. It was located at 3301 Harney. We stayed there until 1995. 

Timothy J. Mahoney Timothy J. Mahoney is the founding father of Our council. He was our first Grand Knight and also the states first State Deputy.
  He was born on a farm in Wisconsin in 1857.  Taught school and was made Superintendent of Schools of Guthrie County at twenty-four years of age. Completed the law course at the State University of Iowa in 1885, and came to Omaha to comence practice.

  Mr Mahoney served as County Attorney from 1889 to 1893; President of the State Bar Association in 1907-1908; serving as Dean of Creighton University Law School. He was the senior member of the firm of Mahoney & Kennedy.
   He served as first Grand Knight of 652 from 1902-1904 and as first State Deputy from 1905-1906.
  He passed away in Washington DC. on April 19, 1917 of a heart attack. He is buryed at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Omaha.

Scoular Building Constantine J. Smyth was our second Grand Knight, and our second State Deputy.
He was born in Ireland, December 3, 1859. Came to this country with his uncle when he was ten years old. Was placed in a school in New York City with the intent of preparing him for the bar. After five years residence in New York, he came west to Omaha. In 1878 he entered Creighton University, from which he received his degree in A.M. Was admitted the the bar in 1885; elected to the legistlature in 1886. Elected a member of the school board of the city of Omaha in 1890.

Was elected attorney-general of Nebraska in 1896, and relelected in 1898. After leaving the attorney-general's office in 1901, he became a member of the firm of Smyth & Smith. It was during this time he began talking with Timothy Mahoney about forming a Knights of Columbus Council in Nebraska. He was our second grand knight from 1904-1906 and second State Deputy from 1906-1909. In 1913, he was drawn back into the world of government and politics when he was chosen as a Special Assistant to the Attorney General of the United States, a position followed in 1917 by his elevation to the position of Chief Justice of the Circuit Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia, only the third person ever to hold the position.
He passed away on April 14, 1924, and is buryed at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Omaha.

Scoular Building Francis Patrick Matthews was born in Albion Nebraska on March 15, 1887 to Patrick and Ann (Sullivan) Matthews. Graduated from Albion High School in 1906 Creighton University, BA 1910, MA 1911, and LLB 1913. Married Mary Claire Hughes on November 24, 1914. They had one son and five daughters. He began practicing law in Omaha in 1913. Throughout the years he acted as President, Chairman, Regent, and Director of many companies and organizations. 

From 1918 to 1920 he was Grand Knight of the Omaha Council, then District Deputy 1921-1923, State Deputy 1923-1925, Supreme Director 1923-1933, Deputy Supreme Knight 1933-1939 and Supreme Knight 1939-1945.
  He served as Secretary of the Navy from May 1949 - July 1951. He resigned the Navy post to become Ambassador to Ireland. Mr. Matthews died October 18, 1952 during a visit to Omaha.  

stamp This is a postage stamp to honor Father Flanagan. It was issued on July 14, 1986 by the U.S. Post office 
clarion heading Our Clarion newsletter heading has changed several times over the years. The next pictures show a few. This one is dated November 1922 and its cover story was about fundraising for the new building. 

Scoular Building This Clarion entitled the "Special Oom-Pah Number" is dated February 27,1926. The Special Oom-Pah Number is about a fund raiser for the new building. Inside "Oom-Pah - It's Comming Again! Omaha's Annual Joy Week, Bigger & Better Than Ever" April 10th to 17th, 1926. Prizes were: 
one Chrysler "70" six cylinder sedan, six Chrysler "58" Coaches, seven five tube Fada radio sets, and many more. 
Gross receipts were $63,758.99. It netted $25,000.00 

Home Page 
State CouncilKnights of Columbus Supreme CouncilMembership InformationActivities and CalendarOfficersHomeCouncil OfficersMembership InformationCentennial InformationCouncil Activities and CalendarCouncil Activities and CalendarHome